Thursday, January 26, 2012

What was the Biblical Necklace with 12 Gemstones on a priest called?

I once had an illustrated bible when I was about 5yrs old. In this bible were many pictures that were well drawn, and as a child I was intrigued enough to read a bit of it. I was drawn to one particular illustration which depicted a temple and a high priest coming out of the temple flanked to either side by secondary priests. The main priest was very striking to me because at the time i had thought that it was chef boyardee. yeah I used to like eating it when i was small so I was impressed that my favorite cook was in the bible. sorry but that's what i thought back then,anyway this priest had a strange looking necklace that he wore which looked like it was made of gold, and had about 12 gemstones of different types embeded into the gold plate,which by the way was quite large and covered a good portion of his chest. I've been trying to find out what the name of this necklace was called, what it was made of, and what it represented to the priest? I hope you can help me out, and thanks.What was the Biblical Necklace with 12 Gemstones on a priest called?
Try this link:



http://www.templesanjose.org/JudaismInfo鈥?/a>What was the Biblical Necklace with 12 Gemstones on a priest called?
I'm 99% sure what you mean is the Breastplate of the Kohen Gadol.



check wikipedia for "Hoshen" (apparently it doesn't seem to like posting wikipedia links...)

No comments:

Post a Comment