Friday, January 20, 2012

Is this an inappropriate gift for my mother?

I want to buy my mother a cookbook for christmas. She has many cookbooks, but she only cherishes one, and that is her mothers cookbook. For as long as I can remember my mom has had this book, she frequently references it when cooking, however its falling apart. My grandmother had 3 girls and they all learned how to cook from this book growing up so there's been lots of wear and tear. The cover is missing, the table of contents, the first 100 pages and the last 100 pages have fallen off. The pages are yellow and brown, and there are roughly 1,400 pages left of the book. My mother doesn't know the name of the book, nor the publisher, nor the cover of the book.



Long story short, I found it. Mary Margaret Mcbride Encyclopedia of Cooking deluxe illustrated edition published in 1959. Would this be insulting to my mother? I dislike how upset she gets when another page rips out of her mothers book, so I want to buy her the same book, only with all the pages, and the cover. Is this inappropriate?Is this an inappropriate gift for my mother?
Why would she even consider being angry? I'm surprised you even found the book with like half the book missing. What you can do is put the remnants of the old book in like, a display case, with a little cushion underneath it. That way you're not just throwing the old book in the trash. You'd be preserving it to pass down along the family, really. If she is mad, just explain to her that eventually it's going to fall apart completely and future children/grandchildren won't even be able to enjoy it then. This way they can still see the original.



This is a great gift. I'd include a card inside the package that said something along the lines of "I know how much you loved your mother's book. This way, you can keep it safe for many generations to come" or something.



That's just my thoughts, really. Your mom probably views the book as very sentimental. She probably holds it close to her heart because it belonged to her mother. That's most likely why she gets so upset when another piece of it falls apart. So this way she can still use all the recipes (and even more so with the rest of the book there), and keep her mom's book from falling apart any more than it already has.



Merry Christmas!
Well I don't know your mother and her personality so I can't tell you what type of things really insult her. But since she uses only that cook book, you should find a cook book thats A LOT better then the one she owns. With better pictures more recipes more pages and instructions find one that will completely top the old one! And put a special cooking poem with it so not only is it better but it will have sentimental value to it like her old one does.Is this an inappropriate gift for my mother?
I don't know your mothers personality but that seems like a very nice thing to do. Not with the intention of replacing the old one but to preserve it as it is. time and memories are attached to the original. I think it would show respect and gratitude.Is this an inappropriate gift for my mother?
That would be a great gift. Now she can save what is left of her mother's cookbook and use the new one. I think that is a very thoughtful and appropriate gift.
I think this would be a great and thoughtful idea for your mother. You should get it for her. Answer mine please! http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqFKCNosm7ZRuFxrJ1ZJDWoM_dw4;_ylv=3?qid=20101215133128AAWd7AQ
It would be the best gift because not only would she cherish her mother's but she can cherish her daughter's too.
If I were your mother I would be very touched. This way she can have the complete book with all of the recipes and preserve what is left of her mothers book.
kindly explain how old the other one is getting and she should store it to cherish instead of taking the chance of more damage.
No, that is fine.
i would love it if you got for me.

get it for her.
  • lip care
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment