Friday, January 20, 2012

Cook Book circa 1929. See details please?

My elderly neighbor called me over last night to see this cook book. Name is " The White House cook Book". Its all the recipes from past presidents wives, or the cooks who made things for the banquettes.

Illustrated. She would like to know if she should have it re-bound, or try to sell it. I wonder if it would cost her as much to have it re-bound as she would get if she sold it. Anyone have any information? I know there are collectors of this type of thing, but even if she had it re-bound, the pages would still be brittle.Cook Book circa 1929. See details please?
Hello Libby

I made a call to a Antique appraiser friend in Pa. First editions are worth money , reprints are not . I have a few questions :

1) What was the publishers name ? Saalfield or Werner

2) What were the names of the writers ? Hugo Zeiman , F.L.Gillette

3 ) What are the copy right dates ? 1887 , 1898 , 1907 , 1920

If all of these are on this book , it is not an first edition , but a reprint and is probably not worth rebinding as you can purchase reprints of this same book . Unless it has some nostalgic purpose to the owner or something of a personal sentimental value , it is probably not worth the cost .
I agree with I_ am_Not. I'd leave the book as is. Treat it very delicately, and pass it on the the children/grandchildren. Your neighbor has a wonderful treasure. I have a cookbook that belonged to my grandma. I use it often. She was a great cook!



Have a nice weekend.



JOHN 3:16Cook Book circa 1929. See details please?
No use.

You get it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/White-House-Cook-B鈥?/a>



I had the same problem with another book from my gran. in the end.. she passed it on to me and I will give it to my grandchildren. What delight to look through a book your great great mother cooked fromCook Book circa 1929. See details please?
I just sold one in a rummage sale for a buck. Check Amazon or ebay. There's a ton of them available for not much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment