Friday, January 20, 2012

If you were to choose a single keeper kitchen knife set below $350, what would it be?

I am thinking along the lines of Wusthof vs Forschner vs Henckels vs Anolon. Any particular product line you recommend (or not)? Talking about a block set rather than a single knife, I was surprised how few professional knife set reviews there were on the web. On the other hand, no one suggests a good way to keep your knives sharp and at hand without a block holder. Besides, we often cook as a family, so we certainly need more than a few knives. Forschner is recommended by Cook's Illustrated, and I wish they had larger sets. Putting a set together from open stock looks like a more expensive option. Is it?..If you were to choose a single keeper kitchen knife set below $350, what would it be?
I do not have a set of knives from a single manufacturer. I purchased a number of individual knives (about 12 really good ones) and yes it was much more expensive. However in addition to the 8” standard blades I have 10” and 12” chef’s knives, a 12” slicer and a Japanese Santoku as well as several others that can not be bought as part of a set. I acquired them over the years not all at once so I didn’t feel the ($800 total?) pain. If you are going to buy a set and want to keep the cost to under $350 I’d recommend one of the sets below. I have some knives from each of these makers and they are very good.

1. 9 piece set of Wusthof high carbon stainless steel knives with forged, not stamped blades, $349.99 at Amazon )
2. 8 Piece Cutlery Oak Block Set Stainless Steel w/Forged Black POM Handles R.H. Forschner by Victorinox (also with forged blades), $299.99 with no S%26amp;H at AllHeartChefs.com http://www.ikitchen2000.com/prod/db/prod… (Don’t buy the set from Amazon they are stamped)
Both of these sets are made up of professional level knives and should last at least one lifetime, you can probably leave them to your grandchildren ;-). The Wusthof knives may be a little tougher but the Forschner blades may be a little better balanced and seem to handle a bit easier. But the differences between the Forschner and Wusthof sets are so small that it’s really a toss up. Both sets have kitchen shears and a 10” steel. BTW you can’t sharpen a blade with a steel, it corrects the shape of the edge not sharpens it. The Wusthof set comes with a larger knife block (17 slots, six of which are for steak knives) so you have room to add blades later.
Which set is better? (Shrugs his shoulders) I really can’t say and I’d be happy with either. So you should go to a high end kitchen retailer and look at them, see how they feel to you etc and then buy on line.
How to keep them sharp is always an issue! You could learn to use a hone, sharpening stone etc. but that’s a high level skill and you’ll ruin your good knives learning it! There are several manual sharpeners that will do the job for a while but eventually you’ll have to get a pro to refinish the edge. IMHO it’s cheaper and easier to buy a good electric sharpener and do the sharpening when and as you need it. I believe that Chef’sChoice makes the best sharpeners. I have the Chef’sChoice 110 sharpener, it’s an older model but it does a great job after you learn how to use it. The newer version is the Chef’sChoice 130 sharpener. It costs more than the 110 but the blade guides are magnetic and definitely work better so there’s no learning curve. You get a perfect edge the first time you use it. Lots of dollars (ask for it at Christmas?).
Good luck with the search and Happy slicing!If you were to choose a single keeper kitchen knife set below $350, what would it be?
Hi

I like the Global range. I've had mine for a few years now and they're still razor sharp but thats probably because I sharpen then fairly frequently. I would recommend including a good sharpener in your budget such as the Mino one.

As for buying a block, this may not be great value for money because you may end up with knives which you dont really use. I have three main knives, two cooks knives which I use for nearly everything and a cleaver for chopping meat.

Also, a block may not be best for storing knives. A magnetic rack may be safer for the knives but may not be ideal if you have young children

SamIf you were to choose a single keeper kitchen knife set below $350, what would it be?
I particularly like the Wusthof classic line and I keep two chef’s knives handy at all times. I’ve had many other varieties in my life in the kitchen. Wusthof, for me, keeps the best blade for the longest time.

I only need a few knives though. I like a serrated bread, a regular slicer, a chef’s and a utility knife. Having the right tool for the job is essential, but learning to use the right tool correctly is also important. Good shears are a big help also.

I recommend this if you are looking to buy a blocked set. I’ve purchased mine individually as I don’t care to use a counter block. I like the wood holder that sets inside my drawer.

The following Link comes from amazon.com but didn't show up in the Widgets. It's the block set for $349.00
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B001200AWA/…


And here is a link to the type of drawer insert I use.
http://www.amazon.com/Drawer-Knife-Organ…

Widgets follow the above

No comments:

Post a Comment